Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Laundry Update

A couple of people have asked how my new hamper system was working after my laundry post.

It's better. It doesn't take away the laundry pain completely. If nothing gets folded, it is still easier to find in separate baskets. I discovered that everyone has different time frames they need clothes. Hannah has enough clothes she doesn't need me to do laundry for a loooong time. The baby has lots of clothes but she goes through them quickly and because they are separated, I'm better about stain treating them and remember to check them over before they go in the dryer.

Theo and I hang all of our clothes except shorts and underclothing so I started doing a little presorting and just washing tops and bottoms and I realized we have enough underwear to go twice as long and get a full load of socks and underwear. And because our clothes are big...each item I hang up makes a big dent in the basket.

It also takes a lot of the emergency out of the laundry. One or more of us use to discover there wasn't anything clean to wear but I might have already had a load going. I wasn't sure if the load in the washer had what was necessary or not. I would frequently find myself in dire need of pants only to find out that the current load had three of my shirts and no pants.

It's easy to determine what needs to be washed and prioritize. I'm still not getting things folded fresh from the dryer but the piles are small, homogeneous, and they don't scare me, so I don't put them in the corner next to the bed, hoping they will magically disappear.

Last night I had a load of clean diapers sitting on the floor at the foot of my bed and a load of kitchen laundry (we don't use paper napkins or paper towels except rarely) was on the bed. I normally would have shoved the stuff off the bed and cowered beneath the sheets dreading my domestic duty.

But, I thought, eh, it's just a stack of towels and napkins. I'll see how fast I can get them done. It was less than five minutes. I tackled the diapers during the day today when I had a spare moment and it really didn't take a long time.

No, it's not perfect. But I currently have all the clean laundry put away before I need to start more. You can mark my grade card with a "shows improvement" and a big ole smilie face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that. :)
Apparently I missed the previously related post, so I'll have to go back and look for that.
Just have to add that I am successfully avoiding the load of towels and diapers on my bed. At least for the next hour. Then I might have to deal with them. :|

~Carissa