Saturday, November 13, 2010

All By Myself

The other day, John wasn't feeling well, so he took a nap. My mother-in-law offered to watch Hannah and my visiting 4-year-old niece for a little while.

And then Cote fell asleep.

Clouds parted.

Music played.

I was going to nap but it felt cheap to waste the moment on sleep. So I took a bath. I was giddy as I fantasized about my garden tub. I ran toward my bathroom, stripping as I went. (Ok, I know, you didn't need that image. But I had to paint a picture to express my excitement. You will have to deal with it.)

I enjoyed about 15-20 minutes of luxurious, hot, steamy water AND silence AND solitude. I felt like I was getting away with something illicit when I realized there were absolutely no plastic toys floating in my water. I sneered at those toys as they wished they could join in the fun. "Not today, my friends, you only get to watch and eat your little plastic hearts out."

Cote cried and I realized my activities (or lack thereof) must come to an end, but as I quickly wrapped a towel around my body I found myself creating a parody of Eric Carmen's "All By Myself."

My new lyrics aren't a complete redo of the song but I've been singing them for three days and they make me happy. I know some of my Mommy friends will appreciate them. If I had some sort of musical ability beyond that of being able to totally rock the melody of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the piano, I'd perform it for you.

All by myself, I took a bath 
All by myself today at four 
All by myself, and I wanna PEE 
All by myself...





2 comments:

Mary said...

LOL!!! Love it!!

Anonymous said...

OH yeah, I am totally with ya on that!! love it!
Carissa