Thursday, March 25, 2010

Babies Should be Savored





The baby slept in a bouncy chair while I tried to quickly make some lunch. I was bustling in the kitchen when the familiar strains of a row began in the living room.

I was frustrated that the older two were at each other's throats again and worried they would wake the baby. I came around the corner demanding, "What's the problem here?" And found the kids huddled as close as possible to the baby, one on either side. Both were as mad as hornets and the baby was as pleased as punch to be in the middle of all the action.

There was the usual blank stares and attempts to look innocent. And then John laid it out straight, "Mom, Hannah's hoarding the baby."

Inwardly, I chuckled.
Outwardly, I scowled.
Sternly, I spoke.

"No one needs to hoard the baby. Leave her alone so she can sleep and I can get lunch ready." I concluded with my routine mom threat, "Find something to do by yourselves or I will find something for you. "

It has been a few weeks since that incident. I had believed baby-hoarding and accusations of baby- hoarding were a thing of the past (grandparents notwithstanding, of course). Perhaps it's because the baby isn't quite as novel as she was brand-new-out-of-the-box. Perhaps the kids are busier in the new house. Perhaps they haven't had the chance since I wear her most of the time. But today, it happened again. Cote was happily cooing and kicking on the carpeted floor of my closet while I folded and put away clothes.

It doesn't matter where I hide. The older two always find me. John was first. He was thrilled to see his baby sister available and in a good mood. He planted himself on the floor beside her, reciprocating the coos and smiles. Hannah came tearing into the room, beside herself to find TWO siblings on the floor. She was pretty sure that meant a good time was about to be had. My heart swelled at the Norman Rockwell-ness of it all.

Then it started. Bickering. Rivalry. Name-calling. Cries of injustice. In an episode of deja vu, I uttered the parental inquest once again, "What's the problem here?"

This time Hannah answered as self-righteous as John did the previous time, "Mommy, John's horking the baby down."

Inwardly, I.....

Oh, who am I kidding? There was nothing inward. I just plain, down-right, laughed out loud. I burst into peals of maniacal mom laughter. Sometimes, that's all you can do.


2 comments:

Carissa said...

Love it!
(And I similar fighting over baby here too. Must be LOVE!)

Carissa said...

That should read "I see similar fighting".