Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Homeschooling Vacation

We've travelled enough since John came to be our son that he once drew a picture for our preacher and it had the Marriott logo in front of our house. Hannah was six weeks old for our first 9 hour car trip. When John was five, he wistfully spoke of our old house back in California. (We've always lived in TN). We have pictures of John two years apart standing beside the same cactus in Tucson, Arizona.

So last week, we made an impromptu visit to Theo's grandmother (89 1/2 years old) in Warsaw, IN. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law were already going. So the kids and I sort of invited ourselves after Hannah mentioned she wanted to see Gram-Gram just like Audrey was. So we loaded up the truck and moved to.... well, you get the idea. Hannah made her suggestion on Easter Sunday after lunch. We were in the car Monday morning at 8:00 AM.

I didn't even attempt to do any school last week... oh well, many other children were on Spring Break anyway and we homeschool year-round just so we can do things like that. We drove home Saturday and were back on the road Sunday. This week we find ourselves in Atlanta, GA.

Ahhh, back into our normal routine. LOL But I did bring school with us. I've learned the quickest way to John's heart is through his stomach. I can speak to his well-ingrained survival habits by feeding the child good food on a routine basis. Food however is not the way to his mind: video games are. I've learned that I cannot force John to learn. But, I can withhold any videos or video game privileges until he has completed a certain amount of work. This week he's complained several times that he simply can't do school because he's on vacation. The poor boy. I've tried to explain that he's on vacation because he home schools.

Don't worry, I have one more bit of incentive for tomorrow. He has new goggles and the pool begs a little readin', writin' and 'rithmatic.

No comments: