Monday, March 30, 2009

Gawk-a-MOWL-eee


.... that's what we made yesterday. It's Hannah's favorite thing in the world. She starts squealing with excitement when she sees that we've even purchased avocados. So when she saw the knife and the avocados on the counter yesterday, it was inevitable I'd have help making our family's most enjoyed delicacy. Immediately she slid a chair to the counter and started opening the upper cabinet. "Gawlic, we need gawlic!". Then she rummaged through the drawer for the garlic press. A visible shiver ran down her spine as she gleefully spied the cilantro.




Oh yes, dear reader, guacamole is THE quintessential toddler food. Not cheerios. Not apple juice or animal crackers. It's guacamole, and I mean the good,lumpy,home-made kind with chunks of red onion and tomatoes in it. What two-year-old wouldn't be clamouring for the first taste?

Hannah's tasting started as soon the first ingredients hit the bowl. "MMMM!" she said, "Tastes...like...ummmm......Gawk-a-mowlee!" Good, that's exactly what I was going for.

She took a halved lime and asked "I lick it?" Sure, kiddo. Lick away. I'm not going to use that half anyway. She licked it and there was no sour-puss face I'm sorry to report. But then she held it over the bowl and offered, "I kweese it." Um...oops, that's not up to health code. Oh well, it was just our family and the boys have absolutely no idea about the licked lime. We'll keep that our little secret. I'm not sure what to do about the photo evidence though!









2 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

I love this blog, Holly! Your stories about the kids are so sweet and funny and just plain enjoyable! I cannot even imagine having a toddler who would eat visible and feelable in your mouth vegetables! Enjoy it!! :)

SAHM said...

Roger loves avocados and homemade guacamole. I need to make some more soon. It doesn't last long around here.